There has only been one drug approved for lupus in over 50 years (Benlysta™), and current options are often as toxic and damaging as the disease itself.
But unlike a decade or two ago, there is now real hope that safe new treatments will soon be introduced and approved by the FDA.
Today there is “cautious optimism” on new drugs for lupus.
Why are clinical trials so vital to moving lupus treatments forward? See how trial, doctor, and participant can make it happen
Latest News on Lupus Drug Development
- LRI Joins Major New Collaboration to Understand Lupus Genetics
May 5, 2015
- Investigational Drug Shows Potential for Severe Lupus According to Results of Small Study
March 5, 2015
- Promising Results of Lupus Clinical Trials Presented at American College of Rheumatology Meeting
November 21, 2014
- Lupus Trial Discontinued, Informs Development of New Approaches
October 9, 2014
- Primary Endpoints Not Met in Phase II/III Atacicept Trial
June 27, 2014
- Investigational Blisibimod Improved Severe Lupus Disease in New Study
April 25, 2014
- LRI Research Advances Treatment to Prevent Dangerous Blood Clots in Lupus
March 19, 2014
- Epratuzumab Shows Promise for Lupus in Clinical Study
March 12, 2014
- Small Study Shows Treating Lupus Nephritis with Lower Doses of Prednisone Works
January 29, 2014
A small study conducted in Spain found that a lower dose of the oral corticosteroid prednisone worked as well with less side effects than the current standard dosage.
- Yale Researchers Report a Malaria Drug Combo Could Help Prevent Pregnancy Complications in Lupus
January 22, 2014
- Positive Results in Clinical Trial Testing Lupuzor
October 15, 2013
- Investigational Drug Laquinimod Helped Treat Lupus Nephritis in Phase 2 Trial
June 12, 2013
- New Research on Investigational Lupus Drug Epratuzumab
June 14, 2013
- Experimental Lupus Drug Blisibimod Enrolling Patients in Late-stage Overseas Study
March 28, 2013
- New Study Shows Potential Benefit of Existing Organ Transplant Medication for Lupus Nephritis
January 2, 2013
- Investigational drug BL-7050 may offer treatment for neuropathic pain of lupus and other diseases
December 17, 2012
- Interim Data for Investigational Lupus Treatment Showing Potential Promise
November 1, 2012
- Acthar -- Old Drug May Learn New Tricks
September 17, 2012
- New Data of Novel Compound IMO-8400 Showed Possible for Lupus and Psoriasis
June 27, 2012
- Invion submitting Investigational Drug Application for INV103 Early 2013
May 7, 2012
- Resolve Therapeutics Gains Funding for Investigational Lupus Compound Clinical Trials
April 30, 2012
- Anthera Announces the Advancement of Blisibimod into Phase 3 Development for Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
December 9, 2011
- Experimental Lupus Treatment Lupuzor One-Step Closer to Possible Approval
December 9, 2011
- Newer Drug Seems Better at Controlling Lupus Kidney Complication
November 16, 2011
- Lupus Research Institute Reports on Lupus Drug Development at ACR 2011
November 13, 2011
- Epratuzumab Phase IIB Data Demonstrated Sensitivity of BICLA, a Novel BILAG-Based Composite Endpoint
November 8, 2011
- Immunization Against Interferon Alpha Shows Positive Effect on Immune System in People with Lupus
November 5, 2011
- Vitamin D, Interferon Alpha Vaccine Show Promise Against Lupus
November 5, 2011
- Lupus Making Headlines Indicates New Level of Promise...and Hope
November 4, 2011
- FDA Grants Lupuzor Fast Track Status
November 3, 2011
- ImmuPharma in licensing talks for lupus drug
November 3, 2011
- Rituximab after methotrexate failure in rheumatoid arthritis: evaluation of the SERENE trial.
Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2011 Aug 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- After half-century's wait, approval paves path for new lupus drug.
Nat Med. 2011 Apr;17(4):400.
- First lupus drug in half a century approved.
- BAFF inhibition: A new class of drugs for the treatment of autoimmunity.
Exp Cell Res. 2011 Feb 17.
- Treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus with epratuzumab.
Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2011 Feb;71(2):175-82. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2010.03767.x.
- UCB announces start of phase III programme with epratuzumab for patients with moderate to severe systemic lupus erythematosus
- Advances in drug therapy for systemic lupus erythematosus.
BMC Med. 2010 Nov 29;8:77. Review.
- Treatment of lupus nephritis.
Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2010 Nov;6(6):901-11.
- Use of methotrexate in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and primary Sjögren's syndrome.
Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2010 Sep-Oct;28(5 Suppl 61):S156-9.
- Target therapies in systemic lupus erythematosus: current state of the art.
Mini Rev Med Chem. 2010 Sep;10(10):956-65. Review.
- Mycophenolate mofetil for induction treatment of lupus nephritis: a systematic review and metaanalysis.
J Rheumatol. 2011 Jan;38(1):69-78. Epub 2010 Oct 15.
- New and emerging treatment approaches to lupus.
Biologics. 2010 Sep 13;4:263-71.
- A new tool for detection of type I interferon activation in systemic lupus erythematosus.
Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12(4):138. Epub 2010 Aug 26.
- Cutaneous lupus erythematosus: Update of therapeutic options Part II.
J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010 Aug 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Biological therapy for lupus nephritis-tribulations and trials.
Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010 Sep;6(9):547-52. Epub 2010 Jul 20.
- Anticytokine therapies in systemic lupus erythematosus.
Immunotherapy. 2010 Jul;2(4):575-82. Review.
- Anti-TNF-alpha therapies in systemic lupus erythematosus.
J Biomed Biotechnol. 2010;2010:465898. Epub 2010 Jun 22. Review.
- B cells as therapeutic targets in SLE.
Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010 Jun;6(6):326-37. Review.